On Saturday, September 29, 2012 2:42:56 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > The principle is not the same. You cannot get a head transplant and
> assume
> > that the 'you'-ness is going to magically follow the scalpel into your
> head
> > from your body. You cannot get a prosthetic head, because without a
> head,
> > there is no 'you' there anymore.
>
> What test do you use to determine if it is still you after a certain
> procedure?

You do half of the procedure, then walk them back off, then the other half
and walk them back off, then you do the whole procedure and walk them back
off. This would give the subject at least an idea of any obvious problems
with the procedure.

> For example, someone could claim that photographing a
> person destroys their soul, and they are no longer the same person. I
> would point out that they behave like the same person and seem to
> honestly believe that they are the same person, but the
> counterargument is that this counts for nothing, since this would be
> true of an identical copy and the original person would be dead.

Yes, there would be no way to undo taking a picture, so there isn't really
anything better than the subjective interpretation to tell the difference.

Craig