On 10/5/2012 2:41 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Yeah, I was wandering there a bit. Just still not used to the irony of altered states being used in an argument that leaves unsaid the elephant in the room.

But I guess if we want something with set and point, this might also be your cup of tea, if you're not already familiar with it, and you permit empty sets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHS7fy-HJxU&feature=relmfu

Hi Mark,

Non Well founded sets? Oh yeah! I have been signing their praises for a long time! I especially like all of Jon Barwise <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Barwise>'s work on them. It is exactly where we can formally model self-representation and allows for a nice finite model of the mereology of infinite sets (if we add a cut-off requirement).

For PDFs:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fpdf%2F0810.4339&ei=NiVvUNOTJaKZ0QXl-ICwCA&usg=AFQjCNGQqvmeh3wBbDPrSdZIDLHQ3U0wJw&sig2=x8yxlI44JMU-T-4RwMTO-g

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.yale.edu%2Fpublications%2Ftechreports%2Ftr1419.pdf&ei=NiVvUNOTJaKZ0QXl-ICwCA&usg=AFQjCNGDlbsWmV2EE6KMcr-L4mL2FMcw2A&sig2=n2F1bfhQk3NTRk_cOL2S_g&cad=rja

I think to Bruno, this would be "too rich" already.

Mark

I am trying to get Bruno to see the importance of a cut-off but that would require that he admit that comp has an error in step 8. This error can be fixed by a weakening of universality but he wants nothing to do with this suggestion. :_(

--
Onward!

Stephen