On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:27:52 PM UTC-4, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

> On 10.10.2012 17:16 Craig Weinberg said the following:
> > http://s33light.org/post/33296583824
> >
> > Have a look. Objections? Suggestions?
> >

> I am not sure if vitalism is a model of consciousness.

Yeah, this is more of an informal consideration of the breakpoints between
awareness and matter. I bring in vitalism as a name for the breakpoint
which is assigned to biology as far as being the difference between what
can evolve awareness and what never can.

> Eliminativism is not Epiphenomenalism. The small difference is that
> epiphenomenalism assumes mental phenomena and eliminativism not.

I wasn't really talking about epiphenomenalism, I was saying that
eliminativism treats consciousness as an epiphenomenon. Or are you saying
that eliminativism eliminates even the concept of consciousness as an
experience - which yeah, maybe it does, even though it really doesn't even
make sense unless the inside of our brain looked like a Cartesian theater.

> Epiphenomenalism acknowledge that mental phenomena do exist but they
> just do not have causal power on human behavior.

Yeah, I see epiphenomenalism as a principle which could be attached to a
lot of the ones that I listed. You could have epiphenomenal idealism if you
believe that it is 'all God's Will', or whatever. It isn't really in the
same category as what I was after here in looking at where the breakpoints
are. Like substance dualism, it is just saying what consciousness is not
but offers no explanation about what it is.

> Then there is Reductive Physicalisms: Mental states are identical to
> physical states. It is not functionalism though, as everything goes
> through physical states directly. The difference with eliminativism is
> subtle.

Too subtle for me maybe. What does one say that the other doesn't?

> There is Property Dualism and there is Externalism.

Externalism is a good one that I should add maybe. It still doesn't point
to who gets to be conscious and who doesn't though. Property dualism, like
Substance dualism seems like it could be attached to several of the others.
It doesn't really specify at what level the property of consciousness kicks
in.

> You will find nice podcasts about it at
>
> A Romp Through the Philosophy of Mind
> http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/romp-through-philosophy-mind