On Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> A whole man has a monad called, let's say, John Doe.

In this case I would call 'having a monad', 'being a person' who identifies
with the name John Doe (and I would say that the name define or influences
the person to some extent as well). There is no separate thing from the
experience of being this person. Your entire life experience *is* the
monad, which is itself a version of the cosmological monad in miniature
(miniature only relative to all of the other grander monad divisions).

> That's the unchanging identity of his soul= monad.

The only aspect that is unchanging is the private narrative continuity of
presence, which doesn't have anything to change into since it is the event
or occasion of your lifetime as a whole. It is made of time, not a
pseudosubstance.

> Technically a man's soul is called a spirit by L,
> but I just use soul to avoid confusion.

Spirit and soul fail to me because they imply a kind of gaseous form in
space or a halo or something. While some sensitives may be able to see
non-ordinary qualities when looking at someone, auras, etc, this doesn't
mean to me that these images are anything but more subtle appearances of
our body. They still aren't 'us' - nothing is us, except us.

> Within John's monad=soul  is a homunculus
> that has its own homunculus mind that
> represents his actual physical brain.
> At the present time I don't understand how to
> break that down into neurons etc.

Nah, The brain is the public view of part of the person, that's all. The
part which is the bottleneck for the experiences of the sub-personal
experiences of the body and the super-personal experiences of being a
member of society. It's the impersonal public view of a person's dashboard
for their own body. There's no homunculus, no conversion, no breaking down
into anything. Neuron activities are the shadows of sub-personal
experiences. A brain's activity as a whole over a lifetime is the shadow of
a person's life. Not exactly a shadow because you can manipulate the brain
with consequences to the person, but nevertheless, the person is the 'head
end' of the total package and the body is the 'tail end'.

Craig