On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:42:26 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 10/16/2012 7:44 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
>
> Hi Alberto,
>
>     OK, I am officially confused by your statements. You previously wrote:
> "Magic emergence from magic enough complexity has been advocated for almost
> anything." and now you suggest that consciousness is contingent on a level
> of evolution, ala: "... in this stage of evolution a form of consciousness
> becomes a necessity".
>     How is this not an argument for emergence from complexity? What is
> evolution other than a mechanism in Nature to generate increasing stable
> complex structures in the physical universe? Either consciousness is an
> irreducible primitive or it is not?
>     I agree that complexity *is* involved when we consider issues such as
> "reportablity" of consciousness, but the property of "having a subjective
> experience of being in the world" itself can be strongly argued to flow at
> the most basic level that allows differences.
>

> If there are no inputs from the world to perceive, e.g. a person in a
> sensory deprivation tank, or the 'perceptions' are very simple
> interactions, e.g. an orbital electron scattering a photon what will be the
> content of this subjective experience?

For a person, sensory deprivation typically leads to powerful
phenomenological perceptions or unconsciousness. Hard to guess what happens
on a subatomic level, but there is no reason to assume that sense is
limited to perceptions of the outside. Sense comes from within as well
(it's just different than what comes from without).

Craig