On 10/16/2012 12:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:42:26 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

    On 10/16/2012 7:44 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
    Hi Alberto,

        OK, I am officially confused by your statements. You previously wrote:
"Magic
    emergence from magic enough complexity has been advocated for almost
anything." and
    now you suggest that consciousness is contingent on a level of evolution, ala:
"...
    in this stage of evolution a form of consciousness becomes a necessity".
        How is this not an argument for emergence from complexity? What is
evolution
    other than a mechanism in Nature to generate increasing stable complex
structures
    in the physical universe? Either consciousness is an irreducible primitive
or it is
    not?
        I agree that complexity *is* involved when we consider issues such as
    "reportablity" of consciousness, but the property of "having a subjective
    experience of being in the world" itself can be strongly argued to flow at
the most
    basic level that allows differences.

    If there are no inputs from the world to perceive, e.g. a person in a
sensory
    deprivation tank, or the 'perceptions' are very simple interactions, e.g.
an orbital
    electron scattering a photon what will be the content of this subjective
experience?

For a person, sensory deprivation typically leads to powerful phenomenological perceptions or unconsciousness. Hard to guess what happens on a subatomic level, but there is no reason to assume that sense is limited to perceptions of the outside. Sense comes from within as well (it's just different than what comes from without).

As I recall, what happens is that after about 45min, a person's conscious thoughts tend to enter an loop.