On 16 Oct 2012, at 21:56, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/16/2012 12:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:42:26 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
On 10/16/2012 7:44 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:

Hi Alberto,

OK, I am officially confused by your statements. You previously wrote: "Magic emergence from magic enough complexity has been advocated for almost anything." and now you suggest that consciousness is contingent on a level of evolution, ala: "... in this stage of evolution a form of consciousness becomes a necessity". How is this not an argument for emergence from complexity? What is evolution other than a mechanism in Nature to generate increasing stable complex structures in the physical universe? Either consciousness is an irreducible primitive or it is not? I agree that complexity *is* involved when we consider issues such as "reportablity" of consciousness, but the property of "having a subjective experience of being in the world" itself can be strongly argued to flow at the most basic level that allows differences.

If there are no inputs from the world to perceive, e.g. a person in a sensory deprivation tank, or the 'perceptions' are very simple interactions, e.g. an orbital electron scattering a photon what will be the content of this subjective experience?

For a person, sensory deprivation typically leads to powerful phenomenological perceptions or unconsciousness. Hard to guess what happens on a subatomic level, but there is no reason to assume that sense is limited to perceptions of the outside. Sense comes from within as well (it's just different than what comes from without).

As I recall, what happens is that after about 45min, a person's conscious thoughts tend to enter an loop.

That seems to me rather weird. If you have references on the statistics and criteria of loop-detection in human, or the reports of those experience. I find this weird. Of course all finite machine loops after some time, even with inputs. The possible inputs will loop too. As universal being we always need more space, we can only extends ourselves or loop.