On 24 Oct 2012, at 19:53, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/24/2012 4:31 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 23 Oct 2012, at 14:50, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi meekerdb

There are a number of theories to explain the collapse of the quantum wave function
(see below).

1) In subjective theories, the collapse is attributed
to consciousness (presumably of the intent or decision to make
a measurement).

This leads to ... solipsism. See the work of Abner Shimony.

2) In objective or decoherence theories, some physical
event (such as using a probe to make a measurement)
in itself causes decoherence of the wave function. To me,
this is the simplest and most sensible answer (Occam's Razor).

This is inconsistent with quantum mechanics. It forces some devices into NOT obeying QM.

No, it's only inconsistent with a reified interpretation of the wf. It's perfectly consistent with an instrumentalist interpretation. Decoherence is a prediction of QM in any interpretation. It's the einselection that's a problem.

But instrumentalism is just an abandon of searching knowledge. There is no more what, only how. An instrumentalist will just not try to answer the question of betting if there is 0, 1, 2, ... omega, ... universes.

And the einselection is not a problem at all, in QM + comp. It is implied. And, imo, the QM corresponding measure problem is solved by Gleason theorem (basically).

And then, keeping that same 'everything' spirit, the whole QM is explained by comp. We have just to find the equivalent of "Gleason theorem" for the "material hypostases".

Bruno

3) There is also the many-worlds interpretation, in which collapse
of the wave is avoided by creating an entire universe.
This sounds like overkill to me.

This is just the result of applying QM to the couple "observer + observed". It is the literal reading of QM.

So I vote for decoherence of the wave by a probe.

You have to abandon QM, then, and not just QM, but comp too (which can only please you, I guess).