On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> of the Kremlin, and there is nothing more profound about it.
>>
>> > But the eyes of the copy get also the signals from Moscow.
>>

> Yes, so the guy in Moscow feels like the guy in Moscow because he's the
> guy in Moscow. Big deal.
>
> > So your explanation does not help to predict what will happen if the
>> experience is reitired.
>>

> True, it can't predict what will happen because what will happen is a
> function of the external environment and how it stimulates the eyes and it
> has nothing to do with the original or either copy. Your entire philosophy
> is built on top of the question "Why is the guy in Washington the guy in
> Washington?" and the answer of course is "because he's the guy in
> Washington". With such a foundation its no wonder it can't do much.
>
> > The correct comp explanation, deep or not,  explains why we cannot make
>> a better prediction
>>

> Then I no longer know what "comp" means because the real reason we can't
> do better is the same reason we can't do better at predicting next weeks
> weather, its too complicated.
>
> Predicting is hard, especially the future.

John,

I am not sure if you are being consistent here.  Earlier you said you said
you identify yourself with a stream of thoughts (not a single thought).  If
you are identified with a stream of thoughts then you can't simply say one
brain is in Moscow and one is in Washington and that is as deep as it goes,
for you must consider the first person continuum of experience and what
they can predict about where their consciousness will take them.

You agreed if you were instantly halted, taken apart and rebuilt again
(even with different atoms) from your own perspective nothing would have
skipped a beat, your stream of consciousness continues right where it left
off.  But when you are taken apart and two copies are created at two
locations your stream diverges among two paths, which gives rise to true
unpredictability in the first person perspective.

Jason