From: Quentin Anciaux
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-02, 20:25:00
Subject: Re: Numbers in the Platonic Realm

2012/11/2 Stephen P. King

On 11/2/2012 1:23 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I can understand these symbols because there is at least a way to physically
implement them.

Those notion have nothing to do with "physical implementation".

? ? So your thinking about them is not a physical act?

Too much ambiguous. Even staying in comp I can answer "yes" and "no".
Yes, because my human thinking is locally supported by physical events.
No, because the whole couple mind/physical events is supported by platonic
arithmetical truth.

Dear Bruno,

? ? Where is the evidence of the existence of a Platonic realm? The mere
self-consistency of an idea is proof of existence but the idea must be
understood by a multiplicity of entities with the capacity to distinguish truth
from falsehood to have any coherence as an idea! We cannot just assume that the
mere existence of some undefined acts to determine the properties of the
undefined. Truth and falsity are possible properties, they are not ontological
aspects of existence.

Either? you can have emerging properties of nothing or you can't. Either there
is infinite regress or not, whatever is true (and one or the other is), it's
not an obstacle.

Quentin

--
Onward!