On 06 Nov 2012, at 21:34, Russell Standish wrote:

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:54:00AM -0500, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Russell Standish

According to Leibniz's idealistic metaphysics, nothing is causal,
things just appear to happen by cause.  Their motions instead
occur according to a pre-established (a priori) harmony.

This is not compatible with quantum physics, so I don't think so.

I am not sure I see the incompatibility. It seems that what Roger said is a consequence of comp, and I think QM is a consequence of comp too. Nothing is causal in that picture, or many things are, in the high level descriptions.

At the basic ontological (arithmetical) level: the closer to a cause is the so called "material implication". This is not causal at all. P - > Q means only ~P v Q. For example the following is clearly false, with "->" read as a cause, yet a tautology:

((WET & COLD) -> ICY)  ->  (WET -> ICY) v (COLD -> ICY))

A level of causality will appear with any modal notion, where (A causes B) will be translated into [] (A -> B), and as there are infinities of modalities (even just with those having transparent arithmetical interpretations like the hypostases) we will have infinitely many notions of causality, all supervening in fine on arithmetical implication. The one like [] <> ([] <> A -> [] <> B) will be physical causes (with [] <> defined from combination of beweisbar and consistency). There can be notion of responsibility, which is also a high level form of causality.

So with arithmetic, we can say nothing is "really" causal, but we can also say that there are many notions of causality, responsability (free will) in the higher level descriptions. This is the same with the quantum waves, or in the diophantine polynomial simulating the quantum waves, etc.