I was reacting to the last sentence "Their motions instead occur
according to a pre-established (a priori) harmony."

Not knowing specifically what you mean by "harmony", I assumed it
meant that the universe was being orchestrated by a supreme
"conductor". Whilst this view might be tenable in a classical
Newtonian universe, it it not in a quantum one. And with deference to
Bruno, not in a COMP one either - I think we were simply talking past
each other.

But then, maybe you mean something different by "harmony" - physical
law perhaps? These are usually in the form of symmetry constraints. If
that is what you meant, then I can see why you say it is acausal.



On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 09:24:32AM -0500, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Russell Standish 
> 
> Both Leibniz and quantum physics are acausal,
> meaning, at least in Leibniz's world, that things
> are what they are, they happen as they happen,
> whether this be deterministic or probabilistic,
> or even eschatollogically caused. 
> 
> The only constraint Leibniz placed on such actions 
> is that they be "harmonious", meaning to me, at least
> that whatever happens is harmonious with its 
> environment. Otherwise, it could not happen.
> 
> I don't know (nor do I suspect that Leibniz knew) 
> how one  could calculate such a universe in 
> perfect harmony in advance, but there's no need 
> for that. It is simply an assumption, and looking
> out on the universe, I see no disharmony-- it
> all works just fine.
> 
> 
> Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net 
> 11/7/2012  
> "Forever is a long time, especially near the end." -Woody Allen 
> 
> 
> ----- Receiving the following content -----  
> From: Russell Standish  
> Receiver: everything-list  
> Time: 2012-11-06, 15:34:30 
> Subject: Re: Re: Detecting Causality in Complex Ecosystems 
> 
> 
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:54:00AM -0500, Roger Clough wrote: 
> > Hi Russell Standish  
> >  
> > According to Leibniz's idealistic metaphysics, nothing is causal, 
> > things just appear to happen by cause. Their motions instead 
> > occur according to a pre-established (a priori) harmony. 
> >  
> >  
> 
> This is not compatible with quantum physics, so I don't think so. 
> 
> --  
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> Prof Russell Standish Phone 0425 253119 (mobile) 
> Principal, High Performance Coders 
> Visiting Professor of Mathematics hpco...@hpcoders.com.au 
> University of New South Wales http://www.hpcoders.com.au 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> 
> --  
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Everything List" group. 
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com. 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. 
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

-- 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
University of New South Wales          http://www.hpcoders.com.au
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to