On Monday, November 19, 2012 6:27:56 PM UTC-5, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 02:45:43PM -0800, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> >
> > What I am asking is why does the idea of a multiverse help explain why
> any
> > one universe exists in the first place.
> >

> This could be one of two different questions, both of which are
> evrything-list 101:
>
> 1) Why a universe, given a multiverse. A universe is the internal (ie
> 1p) view of the multiverse.

Why does a multiverse need an internal view? Especially since our
experience is that all participants in the universe already provide 1p
internal views of the same universe.

> 2) Why a multiverse instead of a universe. The answer is the zero
> information principle + Occams razor. Multiverses are actually much
> simpler than universes.

Keeping with the simplicity theme, I'll just paste something I wrote this
morning for a conversation on Facebook, and then for a post on my blog
(this way I don't need to recreate the universe just to say the same thing
I've already said... makes 'sense', right?):

To me, the problem with MWI is not that it’s exotic, or that it is too
bold, or that it seems silly, or that it’s that it is unparsimonious, it is
that it is radically hypocritical. It’s one thing to throw out Occam’s
Razor in the service of explaining reality as it seems to us to actually
be, but it’s another to throw it out for the purpose of preserving Occam’s
Razor for mathematical purposes. MWI is like proposing that “The shortest
distance between two lines is the creation of a fantastic number of
universes.” This is only compelling if you are trying to squeeze something
which is not arithmetic into an arithmetic framework.

What I see clearly is that the whole of arithmetic - algebra, topology,
information, etc, is nothing compared to the richness of sensory coherence.
Mathematics is a powerful tool because it is like a sterile skeleton of
sense-making which can imitate anything that can be imitated (Church-Turing
basically formalizes this). But my conjecture formalizes the understanding
that awareness is defined specifically as *that which cannot be imitated or
substituted*. Math is useful if you are trying to make sense of a lot of
things, but sense isn’t useful to math in any conceivable way. Math is a
way of making sense, but it has no possibility of participation, so it must
be a character within the story of the universe rather than the universe
being an idea within math. *This is where MWI goes wrong. It puts an
infinity of carts before each other so that we won’t notice there’s no
horse.*

I am saying, if we are going to make the creation of the universe
infinitely easy, then why have a creation requirement at all? If every
change to every molecule on every hair on a dust mite’s head needs its own
Andromeda galaxy to help make that change…and really every *possible*
change on every hair on every dust mite in the Andromeda galaxy also needs
universes in which each of the first dust mite’s possible changes exist,
then why have these changes at all? Why hop between a matrix of static
possibilities if those possibilities are already realized?