On 19 Nov 2012, at 02:12, Russell Standish wrote:

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 07:48:57PM -0500, Stephen P. King wrote:
Hi Russell,

   I agree with this view, especially the part about the
compatibility of bases leading to a 'sharing of realities' that then
gives rise to an illusion of a single classical reality; I just
phrase the concepts differently. My question to you is how 'simple'
can an observer be, as a system? It seems to me that even particles
could be considered as observers. I buy Chalmers' argument for
panpsychism.

I doubt that very much, ...

Me too, as "pan" assumed some physical reality and thus contradict comp, which is assumed also.

... as if true, then we should expect to find
ourselves as particles,

That was my critics on the ASSA idea (Absolute self-sampling assumption). But both in comp and in QM all probabilities are relative to a "prepared state". They have the shape <aIb>, meaning: being in the Ia> state, what is the probability to be in the Ib> state (or finding some b eigenvalue).

which is the Occam's catastrophe redux I point
out in my book.

I suspect that as human beings, we rank amongst the simplest of all
possible observers.

Do you think that apes are not conscious?

Do you exclude that other beings, perhaps very similar to humans, exist in the Mutliverse? or in arithmetic?