On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 03:16:53PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2012, at 02:12, Russell Standish wrote:
>

> >which is the Occam's catastrophe redux I point
> >out in my book.
> >
> >I suspect that as human beings, we rank amongst the simplest of all
> >possible observers.
>
> Do you think that apes are not conscious?

Not at all. (nonhuman-)Apes are not that much less complex mentally
than ourselves, at least according to our current crude notions of
complexity. I'm skeptical about your jumping spiders though ...

> Do you exclude that other beings, perhaps very similar to humans,
> exist in the Mutliverse? or in arithmetic?

Not at all. Of course in nearby universes, actual humans exist. But I
would also expect many beings of similar mental capacity and structure
to be spread throughout the universe. But very few super intelligent
beings (and they are probably hive minds anyway). And none that are
orders of magnitude less complex.