On Sat, Nov 24, 2012  Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can identify your past state as one that produced your present
>> state, but it's hard to identify with your future state when you don't know
>> what it will be.
> >I don't see why one's knowledge (partial or complete) is required to
> identify with something.

And I don't see how you can identify with something you don't know anything
about. I know for a fact that a memory of John Clark of yesterday exists,
but as for John Clark of tomorrow, I can hope but I don't even know that he
will exist. I maintain that nobody feels in their gut that he is the man he
predicts he will be tomorrow but rather the man he remembers being

> we can say "I am some program", and "My next experience will be that of
> the future evolution of this program" even when we don't know what program
> that is.

In other words whatever will be will be because the next step in your
program could be STOP, you just don't know. But at least on this step I
still have memories of the past states of the program.

> In some contexts memory is more reliable than prediction but not in all.
> I would put more faith in the sun rising next morning than in my correct
> recalling of what I ate for breakfast last week.

Very few things are as predictable as the rotation of the Earth, and even
then if there had been a category 9 earthquake anyplace on the planet since
the sun went down sunrise could be a few milliseconds earlier or later than
you expected. In general there is no doubt that we know the past better
than the future and that's what gives time a direction.

John K Clark