On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/11/2012 7:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>

>  On 10 Dec 2012, at 17:30, meekerdb wrote:
>
>  On 12/10/2012 2:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>  But why isn't "It's a probabilistic world and it obeys the Born rule." a
> good explanation.  I'm all for finding a better explanation, i.e. a
> deterministic one.  But simply postulating an ensemble of worlds to make
> the probabilities "deterministic" in arbitrary way doesn't strike me as any
> improvement.
>

>  It is, as it explains interference, without adding something not well
> defined (apparatus, observer) not obeying QM (like with the collapse needed
> to get one physical reality).
>

> That sounds like prejudice against probabilistic theories.
>

>  Only against theories which postulate "objective" indeterminacy (and
> what is that?) to avoid a simpler theory.
>

>  The interference is inherent in the complex Hilbert space states.  The
> interference happens in one world.  As Omnes says, you don't need
> 'collapse' you just need to accept that you have calculated probabilities.
> That's what probability means - some state is actualized and others aren't.
>

>  That sort of probability seems quite magic to me. And useless, as first
> person indeterminacy explains their appearance completely,
>

> It only 'explains' it by recasting the inherent probability into an
> ignorance of ensemble samples form, but with not possible way of resolving
> the ignorance, so that the two 'explanations' are strictly equivalent
>

>  in simpler theories, like the CTM or Everett QM.
>

> Everett's QM is not a theory; it's just an interpretations.

Not quite.  Deutsch's proposed experiment with reversible computation and
an AI yields different results for the CI and MWI, thus they are theories
which can be tested and differentiated.

"Talking about many worlds as a interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is like
talking about dinosaurs as an interpretation of the fossil record." --
David Deutsch

Jason