On 12/12/2012 9:25 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 12/11/2012 9:31 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

        >>> Everett's QM is not a theory; it's just an interpretations.

    >> Not quite.  Deutsch's proposed experiment with reversible computation
and an AI
    yields different results for the CI and MWI, thus they are theories which
can be
    tested and differentiated.
    > Except his proposed experiment relies on a hypothetical quantum computer
that is
    conscious.

Yes but Deutsch argues, convincingly I thought, that the reason it's so difficult to test is not the Many World's theory's fault, the reason is that the conventional view says that conscious observers obey different laws of physics, Many Worlds says they do not, so to test who's right we need a mind that uses quantum properties.

In Deutsch's experiment to prove or disprove the existence of many worlds other than this one a conscious quantum computer shoots electrons at a metal plate that has 2 small slits in it. It does this one at a time. The quantum computer has detectors near each slit so it knows which slit the various electrons went through. The quantum mind now signs a document saying that it has observed each and every electron and knows what slit each electron went through. It is very important that the document does not say which slit the electrons went through, it only says that they went through one slit only, and the mind has knowledge of which one. Now the mind uses quantum erasure to completely destroy the memory of what slits the electrons went through. But all other memories and the document remains undamaged.

But why should I think this is possible? I'd like to see the actual mechanism or Hamiltonian that allows this.

And then the electrons continue on their way and hit the photographic plate. Now develop the photographic plate and look at it, if you see interference bands then the many world interpretation is correct.

No, it only means the 'consciousness collapses the wave-function' theory is incorrect. It doesn't follow that MWI is correct.

Brent

If you do not see interference bands then there are no worlds but this one and the conventional interpretation is correct.

Deutsch is saying that in the Copenhagen interpretation when the results of a measurement enters the consciousness of an observer the wave function collapses, in effect all the universes except one disappear without a trace so you get no interference. In the many worlds model all the other worlds will converge back into one universe when the electrons hit the photographic film because the two universes will no longer be different (even though they had different histories), but their influence will still be felt. In the merged universe you'll see indications that the electron went through slot X only and indications that it went through slot Y only, and that's what causes interference.

  John K Clark