On 12/11/2012 9:31 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    in simpler theories, like the CTM or Everett QM.

    Everett's QM is not a theory; it's just an interpretations.

Not quite. Deutsch's proposed experiment with reversible computation and an AI yields different results for the CI and MWI, thus they are theories which can be tested and differentiated.

Except his proposed experiment relies on a hypothetical quantum computer that is conscious. If there is a form of the experiment in which the 'a definite up/down value was measured' is recorded objectively but the atom still comes out pointing 'left' then I'd say it's a theory; although I don't see how that would necessitate multiple worlds. It would just be a refutation of the idea that consciousness collapses the wave function. Is there any explicit calculation of how this quantum computer would work, and why it would matter whether it was conscious?