On Tue, Dec 11, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 On 12/11/2012 9:31 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

>  >>> Everett's QM is not a theory; it's just an interpretations.
>>

>  >> Not quite.  Deutsch's proposed experiment with reversible computation
> and an AI yields different results for the CI and MWI, thus they are
> theories which can be tested and differentiated.
>
>  > Except his proposed experiment relies on a hypothetical quantum
> computer that is conscious.

Yes but Deutsch argues, convincingly I thought, that the reason it's so
difficult to test is not the Many World's theory's fault, the reason is
that the conventional view says that conscious observers obey different
laws of physics, Many Worlds says they do not, so to test who's right we
need a mind that uses quantum properties.

In Deutsch's experiment to prove or disprove the existence of many worlds
other than this one a conscious quantum computer shoots electrons at a
metal plate that has 2 small slits in it. It does this one at a time. The
quantum computer has detectors near each slit so it knows which slit the
various electrons went through. The quantum mind now signs a document
saying that it has observed each and every electron and knows what slit
each electron went through. It is very important that the document does not
say which slit the electrons went through, it only says that they went
through one slit only, and the mind has knowledge of which one. Now the
mind uses quantum erasure to completely destroy the memory of what slits
the electrons went through. But all other memories and the document remains
undamaged. And then the electrons continue on their way and hit the
photographic plate. Now develop the photographic plate and look at it, if
you see interference bands then the many world interpretation is correct.
If you do not see interference bands then there are no worlds but this one
and the conventional interpretation is correct.

Deutsch is saying that in the Copenhagen interpretation when the results of
a measurement enters the consciousness of an observer the wave function
collapses, in effect all the universes except one disappear without a trace
so you get no interference. In the many worlds model all the other worlds
will converge back into one universe when the electrons hit the
photographic film because the two universes will no longer be different
(even though they had different histories), but their influence will still
be felt. In the merged universe you'll see indications that the electron
went through slot X only and indications that it went through slot Y only,
and that's what causes interference.

  John K Clark