From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-14, 20:25:03
Subject: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brain study
shows

On Friday, December 14, 2012 8:12:24 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You have just presented an argument for why consciousness is a necessary
>> side-effect of intelligent behaviour. If it were not so, then there would
>> have been no reason for consciousness to have evolved.
>

> Consciousness evolved from awareness, not intelligence. Awareness did not
> evolve. Evolution is a feature of experience, which is the consequence of
> awareness. Intelligent behavior is more or less meaningless. It's a
> outsider's judgment on some observed activity where he projects his own
> standards of sense and motive onto some context he may or may not know
> something about. Intelligence is prejudice really.

So that there can be no confusion, what I mean by "intelligent
behaviour" is behaviour such as looking for food or avoiding
predators.

So amoebas then. Or T-cells.

I take "consciousness" and "awareness" as synonymous.

You can, but I separate them to make the more important distinction.
Consciousness is multiple sets of awareness, by my meaning.

When
an animal looks for food I assume that it is aware. The question is,
why did animals not evolve to do this without awareness, since it
would have the same effect of propagating their genes either way? An
answer is that awareness necessarily occurs when the type of behaviour
that would lead us to suspect awareness occurs.

So ribosomes then? Chlorophyll? They appear aware to me. Atoms, electrons..
They respond to collisions, they organize when they have the opportunity. I
suspect awareness in every type of behavior.

Craig

--
Stathis Papaioannou