Hi Telmo Menezes

Then we pretty much agree.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/2/2013
From: Telmo Menezes
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-02, 07:08:41
Subject: Re: Re: The evolution of good and evil

In my opinion, good and evil are just names we attach to brain processes we all
have in common. These brain processes make us pursue the best interest of
society instead of our own self-interest. I believe they have two main sources:

1) Biological evolution. In the long term, the DNA of the species as more
chances of thriving if the individuals are altruistic to a degree. The exact
mechanism here is debatable, it could be kin-selection (affinity for people
with similar DNA) or group-selection, which is more controversial. There is
some compelling evidence to support this theory. Social insects are extremely
altruistic, and at the same time social insect females share more DNA than most
animals. Another clue that this is correct comes from experimental psychology:
we tend to associate physical beauty with goodness and different races with
evil.?

2) Social constructs created to address the prisoner's dilema: for a society to
thrive, a certain level of altruism is necessary. From the individual's point
of view, however, it is irrational to be altruistic to that degree. The
solution: tell people that they're going to hell if they're not good (or some
variation of that theme). Religions have a positive impact in our species
success, and their main job is to solve the prisoner's dilema. They are,
nevertheless, a ruse.

All attempts to define "good" and "evil" as a fundamental property of the
universe that I've seen so far quickly descend into circular reasoning: good is
what good people do, good people are the ones who do good things.

Interestingly enough, left-wing atheists end up being similar to the religious:
they believe in a base line level of altruism in human beings that is not
supported by evidence.