From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-04, 10:37:13
Subject: Re: The evolution of good and evil

On 03 Jan 2013, at 10:17, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Bruno Marchal  wrote:

On 02 Jan 2013, at 13:08, Telmo Menezes wrote:

In my opinion, good and evil are just names we attach to brain processes we all
have in common. These brain processes make us pursue the best interest of
society instead of our own self-interest. I believe they have two main sources:

1) Biological evolution. In the long term, the DNA of the species as more
chances of thriving if the individuals are altruistic to a degree. The exact
mechanism here is debatable, it could be kin-selection (affinity for people
with similar DNA) or group-selection, which is more controversial. There is
some compelling evidence to support this theory. Social insects are extremely
altruistic, and at the same time social insect females share more DNA than most
animals. Another clue that this is correct comes from experimental psychology:
we tend to associate physical beauty with goodness and different races with
evil.

2) Social constructs created to address the prisoner's dilema: for a society to
thrive, a certain level of altruism is necessary. From the individual's point
of view, however, it is irrational to be altruistic to that degree. The
solution: tell people that they're going to hell if they're not good (or some
variation of that theme). Religions have a positive impact in our species
success, and their main job is to solve the prisoner's dilema. They are,
nevertheless, a ruse.

And a bad one, especially as a ruse. Everyone know what good is and bad is, for
them. So it is better to do the good for the sake of the good than from
anything coming from any "authority".

I expect a person liking me to do the good to me by selfishness, and not
because she or he fears some punishment or because they would feel guilty or
something.

I remember an extreme case where I was in a long flight sitting next to a
representative of a given religion. At some point he asked for a blanket and
covered me with it when I was half-asleep, but he wouldn't talk and seemed
repulsed by me.

The ruse is a diabolical trap.

All attempts to define "good" and "evil" as a fundamental property of the
universe that I've seen so far quickly descend into circular reasoning: good is
what good people do, good people are the ones who do good things.

Good and evil cannot be defined but there are many examples. Basically the good
start when constraints are satisfied. If you are hungry and can eat, that's the
good. Wandering on a field of mines might not be that good, for you, but
(perhaps) good for your children and grandchildren.

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in the quality of my genetic material! :)

Er well, try do the children before going on the field of mines!

It seems to me that nature illustrates that selfishness and altruism are
natural complement of each other.  I would oppose it to egocentrism, where a
special kind of extreme selfishness develop as it rules out the selfishness of
others in non reasonable proportions.

Interestingly enough, left-wing atheists end up being similar to the religious:
they believe in a base line level of altruism in human beings that is not
supported by evidence.

I am not so sure about that. Most humans would be more happier just knowing
than more humans can be happier (if it is not their neighbors).

I agree. But will they pay the cost? Will they chose giving to charity or
buying the BMW?

Giving charity does not help the humans to be more happy. If they are altruist
they should buy the BMW.

When money represent work, or speculation on work: that makes human more
happier in the middle run.
When money represent lies, that leads to misery.
When money is a gift: that's a total poison.

Don't take this too much literally.
I have never believed in any notion like charity, or distribution of wealth. It
*looks* nice, but it generates poverty.

I think that some problem comes from too much altruistic dreams, and few
awkward real practice, but they keep growing. Presently alas the 'natural
altruism" is confronted to the usual fear sellers, and all this is aggravated
by dilution of responsibility, motivated by will of control, motivated by the
fear of the unknown, manipulated by minorities (not always aware of this, but I
think some are).

I agree with all you say here. Fear is the mind-killer.

Hmm... Fear is an old friend too, but the danger is the manipulation and
exploitation by bandits.

My point is just that we should not try to live in a system that assumes a
level of altruism that isn't there. For example, when people ask for more
government regulation, they don't consider that the legislators will likely
design that legislation with selfish goals in mind.

Selfishness is good and "natural". It leads to natural altruism toward those
you can identify with (and that can be a very large set with spiritual
practices).
Raymond Smullyan, in "Tao is silent" said (more or less, from memory): "I like
all selfish people, because I can recognize myself, I hate all altruist people,
because I can't and they are never happy".
But selfishness is not egocentricity: it is pathological selfishness, with loss
of empathy.

Man has the Good,
He searches for the Best,
He finds the Bad,