On Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:14:15 PM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

> Rupert Sheldrake - The Morphogenetic Universe
>
> What is space ?

Space is the experience of gaps between public presences, or alternatively
the distance which can be measured of one object against another.

> There is no such thing as space, there are only fields,
>     which are mathematical structures.

What's a mathematical structure? What is it made of? Fields too... aren't
they really complete abstractions?

> What is matter ?

Matter is the direct experience or indirect inference of public presences.
It could be described also as an experience of an obstacle or obstructive
invariance within a given range of sensory detection.

> There is no such thing as matter, because it is only a field.
>     There is no such thing as mass, which is why there is no such thing
> needed
>     as a Higgs field to form what we call mass. Hence we haven't found a
> Higgs
>     or field.
>
> What causes a foetus to grow into a baby ? Is it DNA ? Biologists agree
> DNA does not do that.

Yes, this is the important question. A foetus, baby, and adult can be
thought of as one continuous presence with different qualities.There are
thousands of causes; physical, biological, zoological, anthropological...