Hi Roger,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Rupert Sheldrake - The Morphogenetic Universe
>
> What is space ?  There is no such thing as space, there are only fields,
>     which are mathematical structures.

Fine.

> What is matter ? There is no such thing as matter, because it is only a
> field.
>     There is no such thing as mass, which is why there is no such thing
> needed
>     as a Higgs field to form what we call mass. Hence we haven't found a
> Higgs
>     or field.

Ok.

> What causes a foetus to grow into a baby ? Is it DNA ? Biologists agree
> DNA does not do that.

This I have a problem with. Biologists agree on no such thing and they do
have very compelling explanations for how morphogenesis works. As an aside,
I find that someone using some variation of the phrase "all scientists
agree" is a very bad sign.

I believe this results from an outdates view of the DNA as an inert
blueprint. We now know that DNA is a computer program, capable of
conditional execution based on inputs from the environment. Biologists call
these mechanisms "gene regulatory networks":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_regulatory_network

The initial undifferentiated cell divides a number of times, and the
accumulation of cells and their interactions eventually changes the
environment in a way that triggers the expression of other segments of the
genetic code.