From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-08, 13:05:33
Subject: Re: Is Sheldrake credible ? I personally think so.

On 08 Jan 2013, at 15:37, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> IMHO It doesn't matter what type of field. According to the
> definition below,
> a field is like a map, it is not the territory itself. ".....that
> would
> act on a body at any given point in that region" The word "would"
> tells us that a field only has potential existence, not existence
> itself.
>
> A gravitational field does not physically exist, IMHO, but exhibits
> the properties of existence, such as our being able to see a ball
> tossed in the air rise and fall. But we cannot see the
> gravitational field itself.
> It has no physical existence, only potential existence.
>
> Or to put it another way, we can not detect a field, we can only
> detect what it does. (In that case, pragmatism rules. )
>
> http://science.yourdictionary.com/field
>
> field
>
> "A distribution in a region of space of the strength and direction
> of a force,
> such as the electrostatic force near an electrically charged object,
> that would
> act on a body at any given point in that region. "

But they are talking on physical space and physical time, about
physical forces, which means locally measurable in our local physical
reality (which comp explains as being something real, even if emergent
from the first pov of numbers in numberland).

Gravitational fields, in GR, are physical deformation of a physical
space-time. We can't see any force, we can only measure effects, but
this does not make the force non physical. I use physical informally
to denote anything related to what we can observe and measure and made
testable prediction on, in our "physical reality". What is that, andf
where does it come from? That is the question I am interested in, and
comp here does not just suggest an answer, if imposes an answer and
the math suggests that the (ideally correct) machine's theory is more
Platonist than Aristotelian.

With comp, nothing *fundamental* is physical, but the physical is
still something fundamental for our type of consciousness to be
selected in statistically stable and sharable histories.

Bruno