On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:01:09 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>  On 1/22/2013 10:57 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
>  Then how does one manage to negotiate the surface of Mars and another to
>> drive through the streets of Los Angeles.
>>

> You associate the images with Mars or Los Angeles, not the computer.
>

> Not 'images', 'representations' (check your reading accuracy).  And they
> do have representations of Mars and streets and signal lights and
> pedestrians; otherwise they could not successfully navigate.  And no human
> need interpret the representations.

Do you think that a Mars rover knows it's on Mars?

When it's software was tested in the laboratory, do you think that it knew
it was in a laboratory?

Computers and machines have no representations because they have no
presentations. Computers have parts which are public forms configured to
perform public functions. Representation requires private inference and
experience. Computers do not have that. Which is why I can plot the
destruction of all computers openly on the internet without fear of
persecution from technology.

Craig