On 1/23/2013 9:27 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:01:09 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 1/22/2013 10:57 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

        Then how does one manage to negotiate the surface of Mars and another
to drive
        through the streets of Los Angeles.

    You associate the images with Mars or Los Angeles, not the computer.

    Not 'images', 'representations' (check your reading accuracy).  And they do
have
    representations of Mars and streets and signal lights and pedestrians;
otherwise
    they could not successfully navigate.  And no human need interpret the
representations.

Do you think that a Mars rover knows it's on Mars?

Sure. And it knows where Earth is, which way to point its antenna and what frequency to use in communicating.

When it's software was tested in the laboratory, do you think that it knew it was in a laboratory?

I doubt it had the concept of 'laboratory', but it probably knew it wasn't on Mars since it knows temperature, air pressure, direction of the Earth, etc.

Computers and machines have no representations because they have no
presentations.

So you say...over and over; as though repetition were evidence.

Computers have parts which are public forms configured to perform public functions. Representation requires private inference and experience. Computers do not have that. Which is why I can plot the destruction of all computers openly on the internet without fear of persecution from technology.

I wouldn't try it if I were you - you might find computers have friends with
guns.