I sincerely hope that nobody believes I'm picking on Catholics because
Protestant "thinking" is every bit as brain dead dumb as the Pope's. Martin
Luther knew perfectly well that religious ideas cannot survive the
slightest amount of rational analysis without completely falling apart, but
his solution to that problem was not to get better ideas but to simply
insist that people check their brain at the door before they start to think
about God; here are some of the noises that particular bipedal hominid made
with his mouth, although I think the noises made from the other end of
Luther's gastrointestinal tract may have contain more wisdom, at least they
might have disclosed some evidence on how the human digestive system
works:

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of
spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the
divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God”

"Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of reason."

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians."

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample
underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must
be put out of sight and know nothing but the word of God."

"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is
a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore
eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed,
she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and
she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be
banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets."

"We know, on the authority of Moses, that longer than six thousand years
the world did not exist."

"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show
that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the
moon.  This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but
sacred scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to
stand still, and not the earth."

After this contemptible performance, after flat out praising the virtues of
stupidity and unapologetically trying to turn everybody into imbeciles I
don't see how anyone could call themselves a Lutheran or a Protestant or
even a Christian without intense embarrassment.

 John K Clark