From: Alberto G. Corona
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-24, 10:48:16
Subject: Re: Martin Luther on Rationality

I though that, this was not a site for enhancing the self?steem?f
self-proclaimed rationalists neither an insult-you-an-infidel theraphy group.?

2013/1/24 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

I sincerely hope that nobody believes I'm picking on Catholics because
Protestant "thinking" is every bit as brain dead dumb as the Pope's. Martin
Luther knew perfectly well that religious ideas cannot survive the slightest
amount of rational analysis without completely falling apart, but his solution
to that problem was not to get better ideas but to simply insist that people
check their brain at the door before they start to think about God; here are
some of the noises that particular bipedal hominid made with his mouth,
although I think the noises made from the other end of Luther's
gastrointestinal tract may have contain more wisdom, at least they might have
disclosed some evidence on how the human digestive system works:?

???
?eason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of
spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine
Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God?

"Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of reason."

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians."

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot
all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of
sight and know nothing but the word of God."

"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a
noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore eaten by
scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her
wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be
drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the
filthiest place in the house, to the closets."

"We know, on the authority of Moses, that longer than six thousand years the
world did not exist."

"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that
the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon.?
This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred
scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still,
and not the earth."

After this contemptible performance, after flat out praising the virtues of
stupidity and unapologetically trying to turn everybody into imbeciles I don't
see how anyone could call themselves a Lutheran or a Protestant or even a
Christian without intense embarrassment.

?ohn K Clark?

Alberto.