On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:11:36 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2013, at 15:06, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:58:20 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 20 Feb 2013, at 21:15, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>>  On 2/20/2013 8:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>

>>  On 19 Feb 2013, at 23:28, John Mikes wrote:
>>
>> Craig, it seems we engaged in a fruitful discussion- thank you.
>>
>> I want to reflect to *a few* concepts only from it to clarify MY stance.
>> First my use of *a 'model'.* There are different models, from the sexy
>> young females over the math-etc. descriptions of theoretical concepts (some
>> not so sexy). - What I (after Robert Rosen?) use by this word is an extract
>> of something, we may not know in toto. Close to an 'Occamized' version, but
>> "cut" mostly by ignorance of the 'rest of it', not for added clarity.
>> Applied to whatever we know TODAY about the world. Or: we THINK WE KNOW.
>>

>>  A scientist know nothing. Just nothing, not even his own consciousness.
>>
>>  In science we have only beliefs,
>>

>> But then, according to you, if they happen to be true they are knowledge.
>>

>> Yes, but "we" can't know that.
>>

> Can "we" know that we can't know that?
>

> Yes. That something that the machine can prove and know.

How can we know what a machine can prove or know if our own knowledge is
only belief?

> It is not obvious, and is based on the fact, known already by Gödel, that
> machines or formal systems can prove their own incompleteness theorem. The
> rest follows from the Theatetus' definition of knowledge, and some work.

Isn't the proof of incompleteness also incomplete? i.e. we don't know that
what senses we have access to unless our personal range of sense informs us
about them. We may in fact have intuitions which are true without being
believed or even detected explicitly (hence blindsight).

>> I'd say it's the other way around, scientists have no beliefs, only
>> hypotheses.
>>

>> I define "belief" by "hypothesis" or "derived from hypotheses". That's
>> why in the ideally correct case, belief = provable. This works because
>> provable does not entail truth.
>>

>> If you ask a physicist, for example, if he believes GR he will probably
>> give a complicated answer about how it is our best theory of macroscopic
>> gravitation and it has proven correct in many experiments and it is our
>> best model - BUT it is almost certainly not right because its inconsistent
>> with QM.
>>

>> OK. (assuming QM is correct, of course).
>>

> I think that if QM were applied to itself,
>

> QM is an abstract theory about physical objects, not about abstract
> theories. If you meant that QM applies to physicists, seen as physical
> object, then we get the MWI.

I mean that if the kind of thought processes which have gone into QM were
applied to the theories of QM themselves, then it would likely mandate that
QM can only be as true as it is false. Every truth in the theory can only
exist by borrowing from a false condition that it creates.

> it would likely conclude that it was at once the truest and the least true
> theory to date, and I would agree with that.

see above - QM is true/false just as quantum is particle/wave... unless
theories are exempt from physics... which would mean that QM is just
unacknowledged dualism.

Craig