On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:47:35 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:26:51 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
>>
>>  Hi John Mikes
>>
>> That's the argument of the Far Left, that miltary strength
>> induces our enemies to attack us, so we should cut back on
>> defense spending. And any defensive actions we have made
>> in the past only count against us.
>>

> Maybe our enemies want to just attack us enough for us to keep pouring
> more money into the military, thereby diverting the entire budget away from
> services and institutions which hold the society together, and dumping it
> into a bottomless toilet of corrupt defense contractors and debt service.
>
> It's a funny thing: When there's peace and prosperity - A good time to
> increase the military for a strong defense. When there's war and financial
> trouble - A good time to increase the military because we can't afford not
> to.
>
> Since our military is larger than the next 12 or 13 countries combined
> (nearly all of whom are allies) - the question is, will there ever be a
> time when expanding the military should not be a top priority for the US?
>
> Craig
>

>     Umm, the defense budget is, at most, only 25% of the US gov budget.
> http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_pie_gs.php

That makes it the largest expense in the entire government, certainly the
only expense could be massively reduced and still keep us well ahead of
every other country.

This is a more informative pie:
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/files/2008/07/wa_japan_milexp_graph_new.gif

(from
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/episodes/japans-about-face/data-global-military-expenditures/1220/

)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Military_expenditure_percent_of_GDP.svg

"The 2009 U.S. military budget accounts for approximately 40% of global
arms spending. The 2012 budget is 6-7 times larger than the $106 billion of
the military budget of China, and is more than the next twenty largest
military spenders combined. The United States and its close allies are
responsible for two-thirds to three-quarters of the world's military
spending (of which, in turn, the U.S. is responsible for the majority)."

(from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States#Comparison_with_other_countries

)

Then there's all of that black-budget stuff too...

Craig