On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Monday, January 28, 2013 1:05:28 PM UTC-5, telmo_menezes wrote:
>
>> Hi Craig,

>>> Which is why game theory tends to produce results which are amoral and
>>> ideological.
>>>

>> Amoral, sure. Ideological, I don't get it.
>>

> By reducing the possibilities of human behavior of a game, you are
> automatically pushing a reductionist agenda.

I think you're overestimating my influence :)

> Short term instrumental thinking and reactionary postures are elevated
> above long term creative collaboration and innovation. The first rule of
> the game is: the rules don't change. That is a conservative ideology.

I have no stakes in the liberals vs. conservatives game. I try to reach my
own conclusions, so I imagine I will agree with the liberals on some issues
and the conservatives on others. There are many levels of games and many
levels of rules. If we are talking about a rule like "marriage is between
people of opposite genders", then sure I agree with you. It's just a social
construct that some people like. Money is also a social construct and we
can re-design it. The options here are ideological, because some options
appeal more to you than others, according to a certain view on how society
could be better.

What I'm saying, though, is that even if 99% of the countries on earth
reach a higher level of civilisation and decide for cooperation instead of
agression, they are still vulnerable to the 1% that could build an atomic
bomb. Even if 100% reach the higher level, someone could go back, so you're
always vulnerable. We can try to estimate the probability of such an event
happening. I figure it's never low enough for world-wide disarmament being
a rational choice because of neuro-diversity. A certain percentage of the
human population is comprised of sociopaths.

>> I'm with you in strongly disliking war and violence, by the way. I just
>> don't see a way to survive and be free without an equilibrium based on fire
>> power. I wish that wasn't the case, but what's the way out?
>>

> I think the best hope is technology which puts us into other people's
> experience. Communications media have helped us learn about the
> perspectives of other people, so maybe if we confront the unedited
> realities of each other's experience it will take us to the next level.
> Otherwise, I donno, maybe there is no way out?

Ok, I like that idea.

>>> What is the difference between paying for bombs and paying for an
>>> availability of bombs? Like they can buy only stock options, but not stock?
>>> Why would the government want to buy the availability of bombs which they
>>> cannot use?
>>>

>> They can use them, but they pay a flat rate for the availability. If it
>> doesn't matter if they use more or less, powerful private interests have
>> less incentive to lobby for war.
>>

> I'm not sure that I understand the model. The flat rate would either have
> to be so high that the arms manufacturers would be covered no matter how
> much they use or else or they will adjust the quality of their product to
> match the rate. If its just availability and not possession, then the arms
> dealers would just play shell games and Ponzi schemes to give the illusion
> of inventory.

Which is precisely what both the USA and the USSR did during the cold war.
They used all sorts of tricks to create an exaggerated estimation of their
own fire power by the other side.

Peace,
Telmo.