On 01 Feb 2013, at 09:57, Kim Jones wrote:

"akin to FRACKING" - to hell with bloody auto spell correct

On 01/02/2013, at 7:48 PM, Kim Jones <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

The other thing is, there may well be other fora and lists to discuss posts someone wishes to define as "metadiscussion" but that does not mean that there exists the same quality of thinkers on those other lists and fora as there do on this particular one with whom you might have insightful exchanges, as we do here. So often, topics like religion, politics, education, belief, gun control etc. are the province of the merely opinionated and never get a chance to be skilfully considered from a range of viewpoints by those with a bit of training in the business of real thinking as opposed to the fluff and phlem of opinionising. There are many things to talk about. Do we have to invent a special chat room for every bloody thing? It seems to me an overtly tight-arsed academic viewpoint to restrict people's self-expression in this way. As for Wei Dai's description of the aims of his list: when was the last time Wei Dai opened his mouth on his own list?

One must realise that the natural behaviour of the system we call "mind" is that it will instantly link-up any input it is presented with, with some other already-established pattern of recognition already IN the mind. This is another way of saying "you cannot know from which direction new knowledge will arise." A good thinker will take a diversionary post and see it as "a random word" in a discussion and will take value from that provocation. An off-topic post is indeed a provocation. There is a great need for this, lest those who continually voice a confidence in their thinking fail to see the other perspectives. In a meeting of Exxon-Mobil top execs in the early 80s Edward de Bono was invited to listen in to some of their deliberations and was asked to teach them one creative thinking technique that would result in "leverage". He listened as requested and reports that at a certain point in the meeting, a deadlock was reached concerning the yield from a certain type of vertical drilling. The room went silent and everyone looked at de Bono who simply said "earthworm". This raised a few eyebrows and a few chuckles were heard, but the result of the meeting was that a new way of drilling horizontally (akin to "tracking") was invented after people allowed "earthworm" to penetrate their minds and allowed it to mate up with other things.

I can agree for the mind, but I think that gun control, or climate change are still out of topic. We can allude to such problem to make a point, but discussing climate change itself is way out of the topic, unless again as some possible illustrations of some point. In that case the earthworm can still makes its hole.

There is no problem in trying to self-moderate ourself a little bit, if only to be able to find the time to read the posts and comment them.