On 07 Feb 2013, at 10:57, Kim Jones wrote:

Graham Hancock's experiences with Ayahuasca

Of course some will immediately denounce this post as irrelevant to the search for a TOE. But, recall that CONSCIOUSNESS is the ultimate final frontier in science and that voyagers in consciousness- altering substances have a perspective to contribute here. This blog I find to be one of the more convincingly serious and thought- provoking essays on the use of DMT that I have yet encountered. In many ways, the experience of Ayahuasca seems to dovetail with the experience of Salvia Divinorum, as I'm sure Bruno will agree. I have tried neither, but would leap at the opportunity were it to present itself to me.

Yes, Plant teacher might be not completely out of topic, if we want study consciousness. Dale Pendell, the chemist and expert in psychedelic wrote, provocatively, I think, that humans and animals have no consciousness, and that only plants have it, and that animal are conscious by eating plant.

About DMT and salvia comparison, this is the object of a lasting debate among those who appreciate them for spiritual purpose. My own experience, perhaps not successful for having not well done the extraction, is that DMT is just like some strong mushrooms. Interesting but not so "incredible" compared to salvia, about the nature of consciousness and reality. Salvia, like Ketamine, (but quite less dangerous, and anti-addictive) has a dissociative effect which might illustrate the "Galois connection" between 1p-mind (consciousness) and its 3p local handlings (the 3p-brains). By making a peculiar dissociation at some place in the brain, one are left with the feeling that we are *less* than we are used to think, and that we are consequently in front of *more* possibilities. That "Galois connection" occurs in many place in math: less equations = more solutions, or less axioms = more interpretations/ models. Somehow less brain = more experience, or more intense and richer feeling of experience. This would make the brain being more a filter of consciousness than a producer of consciousness.

Technically, I still have no real clue if this really follows from comp, but the relation between G and Z suggests that there might be some truth there. There is something similar already between the box [] and the diamond <> in all modal logics, but to apply it to the brain, we need this between G and Z, and this is partially confirmed (for example <>t is true and non provable in G, and it is []t which becomes true but not provable in Z (with the intuitive meanings that self-consistency is not provable by the correct machines, and that truth is not an observable for the self-observing machine. There might be a partial Galois connection here.

Now, if it is obvious that altered conscious states can be a gold mine for the researcher in consciousness, there is the obvious problem that they concern 1p experiences, which are not communicable. Statistics can be done on many reports, but the texts are usually hard to interpret, and the texts can get influences by each others, etc. So extreme cautiousness is asked before jumping on conclusion. Especially with salvia which lead to experience that you can hardly describe to yourself, and from which you get amnesic in some systematic way.

But words, here too, are not so important, at least for its most peculiar and easy aspects. When the Mexican Mazatec get christianized, they probably did not understand what the Spanish were talking about when they mentioned the Mother of God, or the Virgin Mary, until some exclaimed "Ah but that must be the lady we met when we use salvia", and everything was clear, then .... :)

Bruno

Fascinating, Captain, fascinating.

Kim Jones.