On Friday, February 8, 2013 3:38:06 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>  On 2/8/2013 12:31 AM, Kim Jones wrote:
>
> Which is a profound problem that we can lay right at the door of LANGUAGE.
> Language is indeed a self-serving thing. A description of something is a
> dance of language, not a dance of PERCEPTION. Perception is often throttled
> by the processes of language. We need to move beyond words. This is the
> importance of math and music (which is audible math IMO.)
>

> That seems contradictory.� Mathematics is very restricted language -
> declaratory sentences, logically consistent.� It seems to be an
> interesting fact that all information can be encoded in binary numbers, but
> that is the antithesis of you view that the form of representation,
> painting, dance, music matters in an essential way.

Yes, math and music are both just other languages. Music, math, and
language all have musical, mathematical, and linguistic aspects. If music
were just an audible math though, then people should enjoy watching
oscilloscope renditions of songs with no sound as much as they do listening
to them. Since is it so clear that is not the case, we should consider that
it might be the perceptual modality, not the sequences and logical
relations which are of prime significance.

Craig