On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:14:14 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On 3/19/2013 3:19 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Craig Weinberg
> > <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>

> >> My terms are:
> >>
> >>                                  Super-Personal Intentional (Intuition)
> >> unintentional (determinism) ------------+-------------- unintentional
> >> (random)
> >>                                     Sub-Personal Intentional (Instinct)
> >>

> >> + = Free will = Personal Intentional (Voluntary Preference)
> >> The x axis = Impersonal
> > I don't think these are definitions, they are arguments. A definition
> > of "intentional" in the common sense does not normally include
> > "neither determined nor random". You should start with the normal
> > definition then show that it could be neither determined nor random.
> > It is a serious problem in a debate if someone surreptitiously puts
> > their conclusion into the definition of the terms.
>
> As a diagram of different action it implies there are, in each quadrant,
> actions that are
> both "Intentional" and "unintentional". As I said there's no point in
> arguing with someone
> who contradicts himself.

All actions that we take are both intentional and unintentional to
different degrees. Obviously. We can have a instinct which is highly
intentional but influenced by physiological conditions which are
unintentional. We can have a personal preference which is intentional but
rooted in an arbitrary whim. Human intention is a multilayered, multi-level
quality, not a binary distinction.

Craig