On 20 Mar 2013, at 19:51, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

2013/3/20 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

On 19 Mar 2013, at 22:25, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

Since I´m more in the side of Aquinas/Aristotle -or even Plato sometimes-

?
I see Plato and Aristotle as the most opposite view we can have on reality. (To be sure by Aristotle I means its usual interpretation by the followers. Aristotle himself is still close to Plato, at least that can be accepted, if only because his treatise on metaphysics is quite unclear and hard to interpret).

Are you a follower of La Rouche? I do not see such opposition between Plato and Aristotle . Aristotle believed in essences and ideas and in the the inner sense of what is right, just like Plato. he was not an empiricist nor a materialist. its phisics is drawn both form intuition and observation, not from experiments (and it was quite right for the range of the terrestrial phenomena that he studied)

I aml not sure that Arsitotle and Plato differ so much, theologically, as Aristotle is unclear. But it is generally accepted that we can sum up "Aristotelianism" by the belief in the existence of a primary matter, and that this is related to the widespread physicalist belief.

But Plato makes clear in more than one text that the physical reality, what we see and measure, might be only the shadow of something else.

So a usefulm summary, which might not been entirely fait to the historic Aristotle is that:

- with Aristotle, reality is WYSIWYG  (what you see in what you get)
- With Plato, reality is NOT WYSIWYG. (what you see is not the reality, but a facet of reality).

I don not share the Occam views.Occam was a nominalist, that is rejected the existence of universals, he did not like to think in terms universals, because if universals exist, for example Truth, Love and Peace then they impose some obligations to God: for example, God must do Good, and must not do Evil by definition. Then, why Evil exist?

Nominalist did not like to think about these entitities, and wanted an omnipotent God. That was the original meaning of the Occam razor.

In the least Occam refer only to the idea that between a simple (short) and a complex (long) theory, having the same explanative power for the same range of phenomena, we will choose the shorter, and this most often (but allowing exception). It is the idea that the conceptually simple is better than the ad hoc complex construct. In particular we don't introduce as axiom what is a theorem.

Probalby what Occam said was purely teological and philosophical. Occam AFIK did not told about scientific theories. What we know as the Occam Razor is a materialistic version of the philosophical principle of "not to multiplicate the (philosophical) entities without need"

It is more general than that. Occam principle has nothing to do with materialism a priori. It is just the idea that we should use the simplest general assumption which explain the most.

But the secularization of this principle produced the modern concept of materialist science,

I am not sure. materialism violate Occam directly. It is bad metaphysics at the start. No one has ever given a way to test the existence of primary matter.

materialism ios a bad name. The appropriate name is phenomenalism. What is know now as "science" is the sole study of the phenomena (as if they were no concepts beyond that) .

You simplify too much here. By materialism I mean what I call most of the time weak materialism, and it is the doctrine that primary matter exist. Its epistemological version is physicalism (physics is the fundamental science to which all other are in principle reductible). My point (proof) is that if we are machine, then physics is reduced to arithmetical truth. Most mathematicians would not catalog the mathematical truth into a phenomena.

Materialism may be considered as a hypostasization of phenomenalism. in such a way that "because phenomena are the only thing that I care for, let´s make them real as "things" outside me, and let´s make the mind and everithing else , inexistent until more phenomena prove otherwise.

You can see it in that way, but few materialist would agree. But we agree that they are wrong. I mean that what you say is consistent with comp.

separated from philosophy, via an empiricism science and the negation of the nous of the greek, the common sense and finally the negation of the possibility of objective understanding of anything but some phisical phenomena, and in general the negation of anything that can be not tested by experiments

This is more like Aristotle + a bit of positivism. Positivism has been refuted, mainly. But most scientist still believe that Aristotelianism is "scientific". They confuse the physical reality with the primary physical reality.

I don´t think so. It is not so historically AFAIK. Positivism is the modern form of the different secularizations of nominalism, a philosophical movement born to explicitly reject Aristotle and Aquinas (who imposed logical limitations what God can and can not do) during the middle ages.

Positiism was still in vogue when I was young, but since a long time I have never met philosophers of science defending positivism. It is obviously inconsistent, as to make sense, it needs to be presented as a metaphysical assumption. Positivism, like relativism are self- defeating theory. They don't need opponents, and they fall quickly from their own contradiction.

Although Plato is more radically opposed than Aristotle to what is comonly know as materialism.

I read Aristotle, and I think he is quite responsible for the coming back to our animal conception of reality, where milk is an independent primary substance. This primary matter hypothesis has been without doubt a fertile methodological assumption, but it is inconsistent with computationalism, and hard to make clear with current physics.

Bruno