On Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:29:19 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 28 Mar 2013, at 13:23, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> Strong AI may not really want to understand consciousness
>

> This is a rhetorical trick. You put intention in the mind of others. You
> can't do that.
>
> You can say something like,: "I read some strong AI proponents and they
> dismiss consciousness, ..., and cite them, but you can't make affirmative
> statement on a large class of people.

That's interesting because it seems like you make statements about large
classes of UMs frequently. You say that they have no answers on the deep
questions, or that they don't see themselves as machines. What if Strong AI
is a program...a meme or spandrel?

> You are coherent because you search a physical theory of consciousness,
> and that is indeed incompatible with comp.

I don't seek a physical theory of consciousness exactly, I more seek a
sensory-motive theory of physics.

> But your argument against comp are invalid, beg the questions, and
> contains numerous trick like above. Be more careful please.

That sounds like another 'magician's dismissal' to me. I beg no more
question than comp does. I have no tricks or invalid arguments that I know
of, and I don't see that I am being careless at all.

Craig