-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
Sent: Friday, 12 April 2013 11:30 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It couldn't.
>

> Are you saying then that matter is random, or that it is neither
> random nor deterministic?

Matter behaves randomly, but probability theory allows us to make predictions
about random events.

--
Stathis Papaioannou

Yeah, what Stathis said. I can add that in cellular automata totally
deterministic rules give rise to randomness. Maybe Read Wolfram's stuff?

And ....

'Matter', the word, the concept, is grounded  in (presupposes) a scientific
observer that dreamt up the regularity called 'quantum mechanics'. QM supplies
nothing about the real nature (the actual building blocks) of reality. It
merely supplies how it appears, to us, inside the system being described,
observing it from within, built of the same stuff. E.g. I can claim there's no
such thing as 'atoms' and be 100% right, because that concept is actually "the
natural world behaves atom-ly when we look at it, in circumstances where its
atom-like behaviour results". With QM get to be predictive. We get no
explanation of why it is that way. Same in everything else, BTW. Not just QM.

Anyway you all heard this stuff from me before....

Cheers
Colin