On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Matter behaves randomly, but probability theory allows us to make
>> predictions about random events.
>

> Ohh, so it's the special randomness which can be predicted by deterministic
> theories. Random until it isn't. Sounds intriguing.

As you will know, it is possible to predict some random events with
great certainty, while it is impossible to predict some deterministic
events. Predictability does not correlate with either randomness or
deterministic.

> Think of intention as a probability theory which operates actively rather
> than passively. It allows us to make our predictions about random events
> come true frequently. The theory has a particular feature we call "effort"
> which modulates the degree to which we expect our predictions to come true.

That's what intention is: we wish to do things, these things either
happen or they don't, and they are either determined or random.

--
Stathis Papaioannou