On Friday, April 19, 2013 11:26:28 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On 4/19/2013 5:31 PM, John Clark wrote:
> >
> > The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has
> clearly explained
> > exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do.
>
> I'm not so sure of the problem, but I'm pretty sure of the solution.

Then you are not a scientist.

>  When we can build AI
> robots that exhibit (including reporting) intelligent and emotional
> humans and we can map between their AI and the function of brains in a way
> that allows us
> to reliably adjust the behavior of AI robots and/or humans

If I am right, that will never happen. No non-human will ever have a human
feeling or thought. Biologically or technologically enhanced humans -
certainly. Augmented reality and diminished reality, spectacular extension
of human intelligence - absolutely. I am optimistic about the increasing
utility of technology - but I am not optimistic that Pinocchio will become
a real boy. Pictures of water won't make plants grow either. Not because of
any magic or specialness about biology or carbon or any horseshit you will
accuse me of next, but simply because it is a category error to build an
experience from the outside in. Experience comes from the inside out.

> - then we will have "solved"
> the problem, in the practical sense that no one will care about it in
> general terms but
> will discuss it in technical terms the way biologists discuss protein
> production and
> messenger RNA and DNA error correction but no longer discuss "what is
> life?".

You are welcomed to think that if it makes you feel better.

Craig