On 19 Apr 2013, at 19:08, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrot
> A deterministic reality

We don't know that reality is deterministic and in fact right now the overwhelming evidence very strongly suggests that it is not.

Everett restores determinacy in physics. The SWE's solutions are deterministic. I don't think that physical indeterminacy makes sense, nor that it is something testable.

> might be unable to make an error at the "bottom level", but if it can emulate high level complex processes, like running some complex software, and such software can make an error with respect to the goal (like "survive").

And the only things we have found that have goals are humans and some of the higher animals, there is not a scrap of evidence that anything else does including reality or the universe or the multiverse if such a thing turns out to exist. Thus although humans may like or dislike what the universe does (I personally dislike the ban on faster than light travel because Star Wars was cool) from the universe's point of view it can't do anything wrong, or anything right for that matter.

Indeed. Same for arithmetical truth a priori, from which the multiverse percolates in some sense.

Bruno

  John K Clark