On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:02:59PM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 , Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> If so and consciousness is a all or nothing matter and is not on a
> >> continuum then you should vividly remember the very instant you went to
> >> sleep last night. Do you?
> >>

> > > Why? I don't remember every waking moment when I'm fully alert either.
> >

> But you have fallen asleep many many thousands of times, in all your life
> have you EVERY remembered the exact instant you've passed from
> consciousness to unconsciousness? I think you don't remember it because
> there is no such instant, it's a continuum.

The last time I had general anaesthetic, I remember the count of the
anaesthetist up to 4, but not any number higher than that. I would
presume he would have continued counting, until he was sure I was
unconscious, though.

If someone stood next to my bed counting while I was trying to go to
sleep, though, I would probably strangle them!

> Are you really trying to make
> the case that consciousness is a all or nothing matter that is so simple it
> can be completely described with just one bit of information, on or off?

Yes. I don't see how it could be otherwise.