On 24 Apr 2013, at 05:13, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:27:02 PM UTC-4, Russell Standish wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 07:38:36AM -0700, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> If you are sleepwalking, are 'you' conscious or not conscious?

Dunno. As far as I know, I've never done it. Have you asked a
sleepwalker? I've never known any.

No, but it's not a big mystery. I've seen people talk in their sleep, so I get the idea. If someone is conscious, you can ask them 'what are you doing?' and expect an answer, but if they are talking in their sleep or walking in their sleep then they won't hear you and won't answer. They are dreaming and asleep but their body is performing functions we normally associate with being awake.

It is usually accepted that there is no REM dreams during sleep- walking. If only because REM dreams occurs when muscles are deconnected from the brain. There might still be consciousness, but not the dream in the usual sense of nocturnal dream.

I would say that dreaming is a form of consciousness, but it is not exactly a personal consciousness - it is a mix of sub-personal, personal, and super-personal awareness but not of public/impersonal awareness. In sleep walking or sleep talking however, there is some motor participation with the public world, but is disjoined from personal awareness.

In the awake state that happens too.

These kinds of distinctions should be a hint that human psychology is complex and ambiguous, so that a binary distinction of conscious or unconscious is not appropriates. Human psychology is a set of qualities and modalities of sense. Outside of human experience however, I would agree with you. Sensory experience as a physical principle can only be a felt presence, it can't be partially felt.

I don't think that we can partially felt in dream. It is make complex because we can forget the memories quickly.

Bruno

Craig

Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpc...@hpcoders.com.au