On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:27:02 PM UTC-4, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 07:38:36AM -0700, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> >
> > If you are sleepwalking, are 'you' conscious or not conscious?
> >

> Dunno. As far as I know, I've never done it. Have you asked a
> sleepwalker? I've never known any.

No, but it's not a big mystery. I've seen people talk in their sleep, so I
get the idea. If someone is conscious, you can ask them 'what are you
doing?' and expect an answer, but if they are talking in their sleep or
walking in their sleep then they won't hear you and won't answer. They are
dreaming and asleep but their body is performing functions we normally
associate with being awake. I would say that dreaming is a form of
consciousness, but it is not exactly a personal consciousness - it is a mix
of sub-personal, personal, and super-personal awareness but not of
public/impersonal awareness. In sleep walking or sleep talking however,
there is some motor participation with the public world, but is disjoined
from personal awareness.

These kinds of distinctions should be a hint that human psychology is
complex and ambiguous, so that a binary distinction of conscious or
unconscious is not appropriates. Human psychology is a set of qualities and
modalities of sense. Outside of human experience however, I would agree
with you. Sensory experience as a physical principle can only be a felt
presence, it can't be partially felt.

Craig