On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> > The last time I had general anaesthetic, I remember the count of the
> anaesthetist up to 4, but not any number higher than that.

What was the point of that? I thought you were supposed to do the counting
not the doctor. It if you were doing the counting you may not remember
going higher than 4 but I'll bet immediately after you said "4" if the
doctor asked you a question you could still give a answer, probably fuzzy
and possibly incorrect but a answer nevertheless. And its probably
incorrect to talk about being conscious without specifying conscious of
what. True we can become conscious of ourselves but most of the time we
don't bother to do so because there just isn't much profit in it, instead
most of the time we're conscious of other people and other things and of
hypothetical future events and hypothetical actions that could be made in
response to those hypothetical future events.

>>  Are you really trying to make the case that consciousness is a all or
>> nothing matter that is so simple it can be completely described with just
>> one bit of information, on or off?
>>

> >Yes. I don't see how it could be otherwise.

My consciousness certainly isn't a all or nothing matter, if yours is then
your mind must work very differently from mine.

  John K Clark