On 14 May 2013, at 23:45, John Mikes wrote:

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 13 May 2013, at 18:29, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

On 13.05.2013 17:41 Telmo Menezes said the following:
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>
wrote:
Recently I have listened to a nice talk about the search of
extraterrestrial intelligence

http://embryogenesisexplained.com/2013/03/the-starivore- hypothesis.html

The author has mentioned two fallacies (slides 6 and 7)

Artificiality-of-the-gaps

and

Naturality-of-the-gaps

However, I was unable to understand his difference between
artificial and natural.

I believe he just means "generated by an intelligent biological
entity" vs "generated directly by nature". UFOs, the New York City
and burritos are artificial in this sense, while Clouds, the Grand
Canyon and apples are not.

He's then specifically alluding to the fallacy of assuming that
extra-terrestrial intelligent entities would be sufficiently similar
to us for us to notice them (an old but interesting debate).

Yes, but my point was to take this just as a starting point to ask ourselves how we distinguish what is artificial and what is natural.

The author failed to make definitions for artificial and natural. Could you define these terms?

The difference between natural and artificial is ... artificial.

And thus it is natural ... for creatures which are developing some ego. "artificial" is a human indexical. Even with comp, we are part of nature. I think.

Bruno

Beautiful, Bruno.

Thanks John.

If I may add: I would call "NATURAL" also :ARTIFICIAL, because the way WE look at Nature is the way WE LOOK AT NATURE. Would you include that into artificial, too?

Absolutely. Like if God made the world, the world is a God- artifice.

Bruno

JOhn M