On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 4:23 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 17 May 2013, at 22:52, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
>
> A common occurrence reported by users of Salvia Divinorum is that of
> having lived an entire alternate life in the few minutes of intoxication,
> and even being surprised and confused for a moment while the drug wears off
> that this is their real life and the one they remember was the drug induced
> one.
>

> Yes, that's quite a Maury effect, indeed. Utterly amazing and sometimes
> extremely confusing.

This reminds me of the the Star Trek TNG episode "The Inner Light", where
Picard lives a third of a lifetime in 25 minutes under the control of a
space artifact they encounter.  The artifact was created by a doomed race
as a way of preserving/propagating their culture, and implants the memory
of having lived as a resident of their planet into Picard.  (One of the few
ST episodes to get away from the technobabble and explore some real science
fiction themes.)

Salvia might be the Hubble of introspection.

Just reading through the written experience reports on Erowid, it's amazing
how completely different the subjective effects of Salvia are vs. more
"traditional" psychedelic drugs. It's no wonder many of them end with "I
will never do this again."

I wonder what could be learned about how the mind works by studying these
in a scientific, experimental setting.

Dissociative in general are quite interesting. And salvia is highly
> selective in the dissociation, and seems to be very healthy and helpful, so
> such studies are needed, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, at least in the United States, the legal standards for
public scientific studies of drugs require them to be conducted in the
context of assessing their efficacy as therapeutic agents.  It's unlikely
that any protocol would be approved that was simply designed to study the
effects described above.  It's also pretty unlikely to ever be able to do a
double-blind experiment with Salvia. :)

Johnathan