After some million years of 'mental' development this animal arrived at the
'mental' fear. Usurpers exploited it by creating superpowers to target it
with assigned intent to help, or destroy. The details were subject to the
'founders' benefit of enslaving the rest of the people into their rule.
Such unquestionable tyranny lasted over the past millennia and it takes a
long, hard, dangerous work to get out of it. The USA Constitution (18th c.)
stepped ahead in SOME little political and economical ways, yet only a tiny
little in liberating the people from the religious slavery: a so called
'separation' of state and church (not clearly identified to this day). Th
French revolution similarly targetted the religion, yet today - after
numerous vocal enlightened minds - the country is still divided between
Christian and Islamic fundamentalist trends.
In my view an 'atheist requires a god to disbelieve (deny?).
Matter is figmentous and the 'origins' are beyond our reach.
Physical is a level of human development and there is infinite unknown -
unknowable - we don't even guess.
Just musing
John M